For Information about CTHC:
Contact Angie Kimball
P.O.Box 34
Redfield, NY 13437

Home (315)599-8825
Cell (315)480-6857
angela@tughill.org

Town of Martinsburg

Town Board Meets: 7 p.m. on the 3rd Wednesday of the month
Planning Board Meets: On an as needed basis
Zoning Board of Appeals: On an as needed basis

How to Obtain a Land Use/Building Permit in the Town of Martinsburg (26 KB-PDF File)
Application for Land Use Permit (17 KB-PDF File)
Town of Martinsburg Development Code Fee Schedule
(28 KB-PDF File)

Town of Martinsburg Development Law (403 KB-PDF File)
Development Law Amendment - Local Law #3, 2007 (50 KB-PDF File)
Development Law Amendment - Local Law #2, 2008 (12 KB-PDF File)
Development Law Amendment - Local Law #2-2009 (95 KB-PDF File)
Development Law Amendment - Local Law #3-2009 (61 KB-PDF File)
Development Law Amendment - Local Law #2-2010 (281 KB-PDF File)
Development Law Amendment - Local Law #4-2012 (281 KB-PDF File)

Town of Martinsburg Subdivision Law (531 KB-PDF File)
Town of Martinsburg Road Standards (83 KB-PDF File)

Application for Special Use Permit (88 KB-PDF File)
Application for Reviewable Subdivision
(78 KB-PDF File)

Town of Martinsburg Fence Law 2010 (31 KB-PDF File)

For more information, e-mail the Town of Martinsburg

For more information regarding Roaring Brook Wind Project, Click HERE.


Wind Power Symposium
Association of Towns Conference, NYC - Feb 20, 2007

Websites of Interest


 

The Town of Martinsburg is located in Lewis County just south of the Town of Lowville. Both NYS Route 12 and NYS Route 26 run through the eastern portion of the town. The Black River forms the eastern boundry of the town and the Tug Hill plateau is located in the western portion of the town.


Martinsburg Town Hall

History of Martinsburg Town Hall
Martinsburg Town Hall was built in 1812, with the land given by General Walter Martin and the cost of the building also came from him. It was used at the time as the county court house since Martinsburg was the county seat. The first county court was held here on January 7, 1812.

The county seat was removed to Lowville in 1864 and the title to the building reverted back to the Martin family. General Martin had since died so his sons became heirs of the building. One son gave his share back to the town and the remaining sons' interest was purchased.

As was Walter Martin's wishes, the hall continued to be used. It then was turned into a permanent academy know as Martin Institute. A charter for this was obtained in 1870 and the school survived until 1888, when it was sold by mortgage foreclosure for $285 and was to be leased to the town as a town hall. In 1891, Martinsburg acquired full title to the building and it has served as the town hall ever since.

Martinsburg town hall is the first public building in all of Lewis County. It is also the oldest. One very interesting event that took place in this building happened in 1839 when the first and only execution in Lewis County was completed in this hall. Lawrence McCarty was put to death by hanging for murder of his father-in-law and the only remaining evidence is the weight used in the hanging.

On March 21, 2001, the Martinsburg Town Hall was placed on the state and national register of Historic places.

 

Home last updated 1/11/13